Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Passenger Trains > Metra Derailment near Union Station & Amtrak 339

Date: 05/27/16 20:55
Metra Derailment near Union Station & Amtrak 339
Author: sethamtrak

Not sure if it was reported on TO earlier before this post; Metra had a derailment on the tight Canal St. curve. It seems as if the lead truck on the lead car lifted from the tracks. This prompted many many delays as it was right before the rush on a bust corridor of track. Amtrak 8 made it in before it happened. Metra trains were upwards of 70 minutes late and trains got mixed up and train numbers got mixed up. One train in Morton Grove dropped off all short turn passengers and then expressed to Deerfield and then a train behind the Amtrak picked them up. Some ran in front of the Amtrak 339 (shown in the video) and that's the reason the the Horn was blasted. Meanwhile at the gate crossing the Morton Grove Police had Lehigh Road closed after an officer veered off the road and nearly totaling his new Ford Explorer. He ran into a power line pole and then they feared it would fall with the gusty winds and would bring down the power lines. I decided to go to Glenview to see what was going on, and passengers were concerned about their late Amtrak train but as we know there's now no agent and the station is "unstaffed". No help with announcements about Amtrak train status anymore. All in all a crazy Friday.

Enjoy this video of train 339 today (5/27/16) with the 517 on the point helping a concked out P42. 

Seth- (www.youtube.com/user/sethamtrak)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/16 20:58 by sethamtrak.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/28/16 12:01
Re: Metra Derailment near Union Station & Amtrak 339
Author: inCHI

Thanks for the post, that explains somethings. I saw the Metra maintainers earlier at Morton Grove, but didn't realize the cause. Today I saw a bunch of MOW at the Canal St. curve. On Friday, I was also surprised that CP 281 got past A5 after 2pm or something, when it is often through at 10am.

Date: 05/28/16 14:15
Re: Metra Derailment near Union Station & Amtrak 339
Author: sethamtrak

Yesterday 281 ran right in front of Number 7. 8 ended up being held at Rondout on M2 so that 7 could run around 281 on M2 and then back over to M1 in front of 281 at Rondout. 

Seth-

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1691 seconds