Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Passenger Trains > Inaugural IPH Hoosier State 851

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/02/15 09:32
Inaugural IPH Hoosier State 851
Author: sethamtrak

Here is my take on the first IPH Hoosier State Number 851 in its final few moments before arriving into Chicago. Consist is as follows...

SLRG 4137 (GP40FH-2)
SLRG 554 (Summit View, Dome)
Du Quoin (Coach)
Dyersburg (Coach)
SLRG 4135 (GP40FH-2)

Seth- (Looking forward to seeing the Caritas on Number 7 today!)      www.youtube.com/user/sethamtrak  (New videos coming online later today! Lots of Private Cars too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/15 10:34 by sethamtrak.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/02/15 10:32
Re: Inaugural IPH Hoosier State 851
Author: sums007

I don't think I'd be up there either at this point in the trip.  Time to be at my seat getting ready to get off.  There were people up there having breakfast earlier, from a photo posted elsewhere here.

Date: 08/02/15 11:01
Author: andersonb109

This consist is so superior to anything Amtrak has to offer on short distance trains. Assume the dome is unassigned seating?  Too bad it's such an unscenic route. Hopefully more to follow.

Date: 08/02/15 11:32
Author: NGotwalt

Dome is unassigned seating for now...in a month or so it will be business class and include meals, coach passengers will get their food downstairs only.
Cheers,
Nick

Date: 08/02/15 11:40
Author: ShantyRat

Will the IPH food service cars be regulated by the FDA?

Date: 08/02/15 11:47
Author: palmland

Congratulations IP. Shows what a lot of patience and perseverance can accomplish. And well done to the IP shop guys in Colorado that worked magic on this good looking train.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/15 12:15
Author: timecruncher

ShantyRat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will the IPH food service cars be regulated by the
> FDA?

This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum.  I'll bet they don't microwave glutenous pizza or plastic-wrapped danish until they're blobs of hot crud like what we [used to] get on the Hoosier State and still get on the Cardinal if we visit the cafe counter.  Seriously, I am pretty certain Amtrak or City of Chicago (or City of Indianapolis) health officials are required to check out the food handling areas of the galley in the dome car same as they diligently do on Amtrak dining and meal service/snack service cars.

timecruncher

Date: 08/02/15 12:47
Author: Phil1

This morning's NP765 steam train out of Cheektowaga NY to Corning NY had a full dome on it just like this one in the same livery.  i wonder how many of them still survive after all the years. Amtrak also owns one  that you see spotted around the country usually in the Fall for the leaf change on the No'easter. This was very colorful looking train.

Phil Blommendahl
Getzville, NY

Date: 08/02/15 13:24
Author: eee

Completely, totally regulated by FDA, including the commissary.

Not just food service cars, but also coaches since they have potable water.  We had to obtain a new certificate of sanitary construction for each car.  Also regulated by Amtrak's food safety group, and EPA.  And FRA.  And two state liquor departments. 

Not complaining, just sayin'....

ShantyRat Wrote:
> Will the IPH food service cars be regulated by the
> FDA?

Date: 08/02/15 13:25
Author: PC1974

Well, the fingers out of the dike early this morning. With the pressure we now have building, it's too late to reinsert it.

Beginning of the end or end of the beginning? BOTH

I'm anxious to read the next chapter in this book on PRIIA. Congrats to IPH for breaking the stronghold for business as usual!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/15 16:02 by PC1974.

Date: 08/02/15 13:45
Author: Jimbo

As others have said, Congratulations, Ed!  Good luck!

Did I see David D on the platform at Indy in a photo on the other thread?

Jim

Date: 08/02/15 14:02
Author: eee

Come out and ride!  And book your ticket through amtrak.com.  If you're lucky, you might get a bus-buster fare....

palmland Wrote:
> Congratulations IP. Shows what a lot of patience
> and perseverance can accomplish. And well done to
> the IP shop guys in Colorado that worked magic on
> this good looking train.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/15 14:39
Author: Jimbo

Two seats per trip at $1.00 each?  And no extra charge as on Megabus?  Looks like the Megabus booking fee is now $1.50.  Plus they have fees for reserving seats.

Date: 08/02/15 15:45
Author: bnsfsd70

Very cool!  I'll be sure to look up a round trip on this next time I'm in Chicago.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 08/02/15 17:32
Author: RNinRVR

I wonder how they plan to work this on Cardinal days? The cars for 851/850 usually are attached to 51/50 for the run between Chicago and Indy, will the IP cars now ride with the Amtrak and its engines also?

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 08/02/15 17:40
Author: IC_2024

Thanks, Seth, for posting your video and many thanks, Ed, for starting your Indy service w/ our beloved IC painted cars.
In the eighties, I was an Amtrak LSA assigned briefly to one trip on the Hoosier State and one trip on the Lake Cities to Detroit. In my experience, the Amtrak Hoosier State was primarily a "hospital train" ferrying equipment to Beech Grove, but I always enjoyed working it. Many of my family are "Hoosiers" and Grandpa used to ride the Monon. Also, Ed, your train's inaugural run was a great b-day gift for me, and I can't wait to return to Chicago and ride it-- hell, I may bid Indy Crewbase and run it!! lol

Date: 08/02/15 18:01
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice video, just hope it works out well and they can actually run it on a sepearate schedule, also good luck Ed, and remember, can't make a profit, but as long as you control costs, you'll be fine!

Date: 08/02/15 18:31
Author: jp1822

This is probably not the right forum to discuss and if moderators want to break off that's fine, or for a short discussion - it's just that the IPH dome cars inspired me to put this forth. 

I know that IPH has dome cars, and to some extent it seems that ridership increases when they are placed on certain trains.

The single level East Coast trains lack the bi-level  Superliner Sightseer Lounge car equivalent. Three eastern routes that would be a natural for the dome car would Adirondack, Vermonter, and Cardinal. With the Adirondack and Vermonter state supported trains, I wonder if IPH and the States could make an arrangement for north of Albany or north of New Haven. Couple of options that could occur - the domes become exclusive to certain passengers ala VIA Rail Touring Class OR they are open to any passengers. But a meal in the dome would be ideal (likely dinner northbound and lunch southbound). For the Cardinal, Amtrak and IPH would have to strike the deal, but personally I think there's another option for the Cardinal.  

Date: 08/03/15 00:34
Author: justalurker66

RNinRVR Wrote:
> I wonder how they plan to work this on Cardinal days?

An interesting question ... and I admit I have not seen every IP Hoosier State thread so I do not know the answer.

On Sunday the Hoosier State set leaves Indy arrived Chicago then returned to Indy in the evening.
On Monday the Cardinal is the trip to Chicago. How does the IP set get to Chicago for the evening return?
On Tuesday the Hoosier State is the trip to Chicago ... the Cardinal is the trip to Indianapolis. How does the IP set get to Indianapolis for the next morning?
On Wednesday and Friday the Sunday schedule works (no Cardinal).
On Thursday and Saturday both trips are the Cardinal.

So ... is the IP Hoosier State equipment added to the Cardinal on Monday and Tuesday?

Date: 08/03/15 04:28
Author: RNinRVR

Thing is on Cardinal day, Hoosier cars are added to the Cardinal and removed at the Hoosier end points since there are enough passengers to overwhelm the Cardinal consist.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0704 seconds