Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Model Railroading > Echoes in the Canyon - Napa Pipe on the Move!

Date: 03/08/17 03:55
Echoes in the Canyon - Napa Pipe on the Move!
Author: Larry020

This HO scale scene was photographed by Dave Roth at http://www.gsmrm.org

The Golden State Model Railroad Museum is open to the public April through December, see website for details.  

We've been open to the public at this location for 26 years.  The Museum was created here in 1986.  The three model railroads are built and operated by the East Bay Model Engineers Society.  East Bay was created in April of 1933.

Larry Price 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/17 05:30 by Larry020.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/08/17 07:55
Re: Echoes in the Canyon
Author: ChrisCampi

Dynamics sound good, great looking loads and a very nice scene.

Date: 03/08/17 11:20

I had misteakenly thought that the train needed a buffer car at each end, but I was told no, and I was referred to this page;

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3838261

The dynamic braking is by Lok Sound.  It was installed by Phil Figel.  The scenery work was done by Rich Bass.  After Rich passed  away, Morgan began a rework of the foreground scene including a much needed realignment of the bridges, track work, and the scenery in this area.  Rich never worked on the track, just scenery.  That was what he liked to do, so we let him have at it all he wanted too.  

Rich told me that he had never been to Niles Canyon (which this general area is a model of), he just looked at photos that other club members took.  Even before we had the names of places on the facia, a member of the public said "That's Niles Canyon!  I grew up there."  Quite the compliment.  I told that to Rich the first chance I got.  It made him smile.  

Larry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/17 15:19 by Larry020.

Date: 03/08/17 14:09
Author: AndyBrown

Great pipe loads!  I love seeing those on the prototype too.

Andy

Date: 03/08/17 14:22
Author: kinnearyard

Not bad for a model

Date: 03/08/17 17:31
Author: Notch16

Even before we had the names of places on
> the facia, a member of the public said "That's
> Niles Canyon!  I grew up there."

It's what I thought, looking at the video. Fun to see a long unit train. Thanks, all, for the vid!

~ BZ

Date: 03/09/17 05:31
Re: Echoes in the Canyon - Napa Pipe on the Move!

This train models a Napa Pipe train.  The first seven cars were built by the members of the Napa Valley Model Railroaders.  The other 14 cars were built by Walt Freedman.  The techniques he used are described below in a post found elsewhere on TO.  I edited out his contact info since it is no longer valid, and changed the wording since he wrote this before the Napa car was available for a few short days (or was it hours) in 2004. 

For the banding I use Charting & Graphic Art tape which comes in width as narrow as 1/64 inch, many colors, matt or gloss. The brand stocked by my local store is Formaline.

For pipes, I use Evergreen 1/4" and 3/16" plastic pipe on 89 ft Accurail flats - 40 and 80 scale ft lengths. I'm modelling the Napa Pipe Train, Napa California. Pipes are pale green and brown. I use Pollyscale NY Jade Green/Reefer White 5/1 for the 1/4" and Boxcar Red/Reefer White 5/1 for the 3/16". Insides of both pipe types are the Brown mix (tediously painted by hand with a brush - as far in as I can get).  Outside is airbrushed - if you aim away from the end, you can preserve the previously painted brown on the inside and end perimeter.

Napa Model Railroad Historical Society Club - http://www.nvmrc.org/ - did a custom run of JTTX Accurails and loads for a convention they hosted more than a decade ago.  Each car had individual numbers. Laser cut wood supports too!  No, they don't have any more.

Good article on pipe loads here;

http://www.acipco.com/steel/loading.cfm

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/17 21:54 by Larry020.

Date: 03/09/17 13:01
Author: SPJoe

Here's some video I took in 2010 of a UP unit Pipe train heading West around Lafayette Louisiana with coated pipe. Bayou Pipe Coating at the Port of Iberia in New Iberia LA used to receive unit pipe trains directly from Napa Pipe that typically had 40 cars of uncoated pipe with a two cover cars. The routing was CFNR-UP-L&D. Most of the time the coated pipe went out either in barges or several flat cars at a time rather than in unit trains. Of course, that depended on what project and where the pipe was going to be used. I believe the train in my video was actually coming from another facility Bayou pipe owned possibly in Baton Rouge, LA. 

Joe

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/09/17 13:19
Author: exhaustED

Looks really good - might be a good candidate for youpipe, i mean youtube........ho ho!

Date: 03/09/17 14:56
Author: jmj3293

I have some mixed SP power from Athearn, not Blue Box, that I rarely use anymore. I am looking to get rid of of it and am willing to let it go to a good home. Non of it is sound equipped and has not been used in a while but is in good shape. Anyone interested hit me up. I'm willing to let it go for shipping cost.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/10/17 21:32
Author: atsf121

Nice train, I remember seeing the loads waiting in Suisun when I was in high school.  Power was usually 4-5 Cadillacs.  The video and the sound was great, brings back memories.  

Nathan

Date: 03/10/17 21:47
Author: tracktime

Beautiful work by all involved.  Gotta love those dynamics from Loksound too!

Thanks for sharing, Larry!

Cheers,
Harry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0692 seconds