Home Open Account Help 407 users online

Model Railroading > Eagle Mtn Baldwin appears at WGH on Tour

Date: 02/13/17 08:40
Eagle Mtn Baldwin appears at WGH on Tour
Author: SimpleMoMike

I was able to run my recently painted Kaiser Steel Eagle Mountain Mine engine number 1012B, a Baldwin AS616, on the San Luis Obisipo Model Railroad Association's Free-mo style layout which was on display at the World's Greatest Hobby on Tour show at the Pomona Fairplex this past weekend. Our layout was the only one in natural lighting for about an hour and half. I tired to take advantage of the shadows as several modelers wanted the same opportunity as well as show guest as they noticed the same effect. I hope you enjoy.

Michael Mickens
Rialto, CA

Date: 02/13/17 12:27
Re: Eagle Mtn Baldwin appears at WGH on Tour
Author: Chestnut

Looks good Mike have any shots of it on your mine module? Hope your Baldwin runs better than mine. I have one with poor contacts and another one with warped trucks. After sending them back and forth to Steward trains I finally gave up on them.
Matt Easton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/17 12:29 by Chestnut.

Date: 02/13/17 12:52
Author: SimpleMoMike

I didn't get any photos of the train crossing my new modules, but I here is video of it. I forgot to bring a tripod to film it so it's a little shakey. The Baldwin worked well when I ran it on DC, but I did have contact issues once I put in DCC. I have added this to my list of things to do after finding several projects to do now that the show is over.

Michael

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/13/17 20:13
Author: Cabhop

Looking real good Mike.
I like that you used the low sided gons, matches the era of your BLW.  Are the loads the ones Athearn now supplies with the gons?  I have a 60 car train of Athearn's re-release of the the high sided buggies and they came with a decent looking load.  See attached.  For some reason I can't find a shot of the headend.  I have a video showing my train, [with about 30 cars], but the file is too large to post. [Can anyone tell me how to reduce the size of a video file so I can post it? It's currently a MPEG-4 file]

Now you need to add a caboose.  If you have not already seen one that would look great on your "Fontana Perishable", do a Google search "Kaiser Steel Caboose" and you will see an great color shot of an early wooden version that sported a paint scheme that matched their Baldwins.  I would have posted it here, but I have already got a spanking for posting a copyrighted photo. [The pix I posted I had no Idea it was copyrighted].

Kaiser's wooden cab looks a lot like an SP C 30-1 and my guess it may have been at one time.  Walthers does the SP C 30-1 in HO, and the Kaiser paint scheme would be relitivly easy one to do.  

Pat

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0607 seconds