Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Model Railroading > ESU Select Direct decoder and Tony's TDS SuperSonic mini speaker

Date: 02/08/16 18:07
ESU Select Direct decoder and Tony's TDS SuperSonic mini speaker
Author: Chad

I picked up an NP RS-1 on eBay for cheap. It was new and runs really smooth. I decided the install the ESU Select Direct programmed to the Alco 539T. I wanted to install a high bass speaker but because of room I picked the TDS SuperSonic mini speaker with enclosure. I was surprised when the arrived at the size, really small. I assumed it would sound like crap but figured I would install it and see what happens thinking I can always change it after the fact. WOW, to my surprise these little things sound great. Attached is a video without the shell on, with the shell on the bass comes out much more. I am impressed and will use these again. Plus, I think ESU has the Alco sound down solid.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/08/16 19:23
Re: ESU Select Direct decoder and Tony's TDS SuperSonic mini spea
Author: ATSF100WEST

Well, having run the venerable Alco S2 with the 539 McIntosh & Seymour 539 power plant, I will say that the chirping is good on the lower end, but morphs too much into Alco Choppy-Churf on the high end. The chirp should chortle and not churf. Think whistling for the chirp with a mouthful of marbles for the upper end of the throttle, with no marbles at the low end.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 02/09/16 05:28
Author: jburek

ESU's 539T sound decoder is good, but I think Soundtraxx 539T is a little better- the Turbo sound is a little better in the Soundtraxx.

Date: 02/09/16 06:27
Author: binder001

Sounds pretty good.  Is this a Kato (or Atlas/Kato)?  Did you have to remove any of the weight?  I have a Kato RSC2 that would be fun have with sound, but I need the weight so it can handle a branchline train.

Thanks for sharing,

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 02/09/16 18:58
Re: ESU Select Direct decoder and Tony's TDS SuperSonic mini
Author: Chad

It's an Atlas from the recent run. As you see it is how it looks with only the shell removed. I did not have to remove any weight as there was none. The frame is solid metal so this is a heavy unit.

Date: 02/09/16 19:02
Re: ESU Select Direct decoder and Tony's TDS SuperSonic mini
Author: wabash2800

With the small size, could you mount two? Would it be worth it?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0328 seconds