Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Some Images from Maine's Moosehead Sub

Date: 03/26/17 15:25
Some Images from Maine's Moosehead Sub
Author: cn6218

The latest owner of the former Canadian Pacific Moosehead Sub across the middle of Maine is the Central Maine and Quebec Railway.  Unlike the other operators in the past 20 years, these guys seem to be making a go of it, and have recently invested in some new (to them) power, complete with new paint.  A bit more than a year ago CMQ bought 10 former CP Red Barns (SD40-2Fs), and recently repainted all of them into their own livery.  Operations are usually 5 days a week, with one train each way in daylight across the Moosehead Sub.

​This first batch is from March 9, with Job No. 1 at Moosehead Siding and then Jackman Yard, powered by SD40-2F 9023 and leased SD40-2 CITX 3091. Job No. 2 (the eastbound) is shown at dusk on the bridge at the south end of Moosehead Lake in Greenville, with CITX 3071 and CMQ 9014.

​GTD

Date: 03/26/17 15:31
Re: Some Images from Maine's Moosehead Sub

The next day I was back to see SD40-2Fs CMQ 9011 and CMQ 9014 along with leased GP38s CEFX 3803 and LTEX 2542 lead a 74-car westbound past the old section house at Bodfish.  The sun came out as they passed the long abandoned ABS signal at Demo Road, and was still shining when they arrived at Jackman for the crew change.

​GTD

Date: 03/26/17 15:39

The shadows were getting very long at Long Pond as No. 2, featuring 9020 and 9017 in "heritage" BAR paint, passed by on March 10th.

​I was back on March 18th to try again, and intercepted No. 1 at Mile 19, Mud Pond.  The power was CMQ 9021, CMQ 9023 and CITX 3091.  Since my last visit, the Moosehead region had received another 21 inches of snow, some of which is apparent on the roof of the more or less derelict Jackman station.

GTD

Date: 03/26/17 15:44

The eastbound this time had four cowls (9014, 9020, 9017 and 9024), including the BAR unit.  Although 9017 has BAR paint, it still carries CMQ reporting marks for official identification.  They're shown here at Long Pond again, and then video crossing the Kennebec River at Moosehead Siding, all on March 18th.

​GTD

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/26/17 16:56
Author: CPR_4000

That railroad hasn't looked so good since the CPR pulled out!

Date: 03/26/17 18:23
Author: Tominde

The "Red Barns" look terrific in that paint.  Paint one in the original Amtrak scheme.  Thanks for sharing all of these.  Nice change from the black and blue post of NS + CSX.

Date: 03/26/17 19:29
Author: P

That's outstanding!

​I honestly was very worried about the viability of this line after the last operator made a mess of things....

Date: 03/27/17 05:36
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 03/27/17 07:30
Author: inCHI

Very interesting!

Date: 03/27/17 07:48
Author: toledopatch

cn6218 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
 Operations are usually 5 days a week,
> with one train each way in daylight across the
> Moosehead Sub.

Which days?

You certainly seem to know how to get multiple shots on this line, which is vital to making for successful visits if you're not satisfied with one shot per train, twice per day....

Date: 03/27/17 11:22

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Which days?
>
> You certainly seem to know how to get multiple
> shots on this line, which is vital to making for
> successful visits if you're not satisfied with one
> shot per train, twice per day....

They generally take Sundays and Mondays off, although there can be exceptions to that "rule".

The 25 mph track speed certainly helps with the chase, although if you look at a map, you can see that you have to drive MUCH farther than the train does to go between Moosehead and Tarratine.  Likewise, on the day I shot them near Onawa, after a roughly 10 minute walk out of the woods to the car, I only manged to tie them at Greenville.  Luckily they made a stop to pick up some boxcars, and I was able to catch my breath and get set up for a shot just past that location.  This is a good time of year to be up there.  There are no mosquitos or blackflies yet.  You just have to be mindful of the frost heaves on the highway.

GTD

Date: 03/27/17 11:38
Author: dan

reminds me of the Maersk paint

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0537 seconds