Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Pan Am OCS Homeward Bound @ Wachusetts 08/28/15

Date: 08/30/15 06:17
Pan Am OCS Homeward Bound @ Wachusetts 08/28/15
Author: JPB

It was a perfect summer day to take a vintage train out for a spin on Friday 8/28/15. Here we see Pan Am's Office Car Special (OCS in PAR parlance, which likes to use TLAs for many of its extra trains such as LCT/ECT, LGT/EGT, LET/EET, LOT/EOT - any guesses what these are?) crawling through the future Wachusetts T station work zone where lots of track work is going on. The train took 4 days to do a Waterville, ME to Springfiled, MA round trip - it's not clear why although it may have concerned the opening of a new PAR propane tank car transload facility in Connecticut. MBTA now owns this track and a favorite PAR train parking area is temporarily reduced to a single main track. If you have the time, please watch the video - it is not playing in slow motion!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/30/15 07:48
Re: Pan Am OCS Homeward Bound @ Wachusetts 08/28/15
Author: calsubd

Nice video,  Can you elaborate why the RR bought the Pan American Logo rights, what's the real story, TIA

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 08/31/15 07:09
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. Note the jointed rail---probably one of the few main lines in American without welded rail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/15 07:11 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/31/15 08:29
Author: tcarl

calsubd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice video,  Can you elaborate why the RR bought
> the Pan American Logo rights, what's the real
> story, TIA

I'll attempt to get an answer going, and those more knowledgeable than I can correct or fill in later. Going by memory (you know how reliable that can be), the father of the current (or at least recent) Pan Am head (owner, president, something like that) some years ago purchased Pan Am, and I think even resurrected the airline briefly before shutting it down again. After, or along with the airline, he acquired the railroad and at some point renamed it Pan Am - he already owned the name. Some years ago I read an article about the railroad and its ownership/management and it explained it rather thoroughly. What I wrote is the gist of it as I remember.

Date: 08/31/15 09:59
Author: wabash2800

I'm sure there is more to the story, like when they used Springfield Terminal to eschew the union.

Date: 08/31/15 15:57
Author: fqo63

Where, exactly, is the new Wachusetts T station?

Thanks..  Tad

Date: 08/31/15 18:12
Author: tcarl

wabash2800 Wrote:
> I'm sure there is more to the story, like when
> they used Springfield Terminal to eschew the
> union.

There is a lot more to the story, as you just mentioned. I don't remember enough of it to say more. There was a detailed article on that railroad in Trains or Railfan and Railroad or another of the fan magazines at some point, but I don't remember when. It told the whole (messy) story in detail.

Date: 08/31/15 22:49
Author: rcall31060

JPB Wrote:
> It was a perfect summer day to take a vintage
> train out for a spin on Friday 8/28/15. Here we
> see Pan Am's Office Car Special (OCS in PAR
> parlance, which likes to use TLAs for many of its
> extra trains such as LCT/ECT, LGT/EGT, LET/EET,
> LOT/EOT - any guesses what these are?)

Since you asked:

LCT/ECT = Loaded Coal Train/Empty Coal Train - Going to Bow, NH/Coming from Bow, NH.
LGT/EGT = Loaded Grain Train/Empty Grain Train - Going to Ayer, MA/Coming from Ayer, MA
LET/EET = Loaded Ethanol Train/Empty Ethanol Train - Going to Providence, RI/Coming from Providence, RI
LOT/EOT =Loaded Oil Train/Empty Oil Train - Going to Irving Oil, NB, Canada/Coming from Irving Oil, NB, Canada

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/15 22:51 by rcall31060.

Date: 09/01/15 03:46
Author: sums007

fqo63 Wrote:
> Where, exactly, is the new Wachusetts T station?
>
> Thanks..  Tad

A few miles west of Fitchburg, MA.  It's an extention of the MBTA Fitchburg commuter rail line.​

Date: 09/01/15 23:41
Author: JGFuller

Looks like won't be jointed rail for long!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds