Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > TN Central Railway Museum E units?

Date: 05/21/15 21:02
TN Central Railway Museum E units?
Author: Mgoldman

I pulled a sting on a ball of yarn... before this turns into a big project, unexpectedly:

Who is the Tennessee Railway Museum (save me a Google search).
(Don't see or hear to much about 'em).

And of primary interest -
What is the timeline of the E units they've rostered?

Seems former PRR E8A built in 1952 is in Tennesse Central livery undergoing restoration at the Monticello Railway Museum.
If all goes as planned, it will restored, painted into IC livery and pull the Museum's IC streamliner set.  It is listed as being
former PRR #5764, ex PC #4264, ex MBTA #4264 and..... ????? BDT 6902.  Whoops, just figured out what BDT stood for!
Not much mention on the 'Net.  Broadway Dinner Train! 

So - What /where was the Broadway Dinner Train?
Why did the TN Railway Musuem give up the E8 (sold to a private owner?)
How many E units do they still posess and run?

What ever happened to the NYC E units they had?  Were those the ones that
went to upstate NY?  If so, what ever happened to 'em?

Thanks!

/Mitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/15 21:04 by Mgoldman.

Date: 05/21/15 23:27
Re: TN Central Railway Museum E units?
Author: 576

Hi Mitch! I hope I can clarify the things you're curious about.

"Who is the Tennessee Railway Museum (save me a Google search)."

We are the Tennessee CENTRAL Railway Museum! The video I have attached below is a basic summary of how our train looks and what we do with it.

"What is the timeline of the E units they've rostered?"
We've had up to TEN E-Units living here in Nashville: Ex-PRR E8's 5764 and 5794, ex-BN E9's 9910, 9912, 9913, 9917, and 9925; 
and ex-NYC E8's 4068, 4080 and 6902 (formerly 4084).

The PRR Units arrived here in February of 1991. 5794 and 9913 were both picked up by Tennessee 200 in 1996 for powering a special exhibit train that toured the state. Both units now live at the Gold Coast Railway Museum in Florida.

4068 and 4080 were both owned by Michael Fox (Not the Actor), who lived out in Kansas. We operated these units from circa 1998 until as late as 2003, and it was Mr. Fox who ultimately sold them both to the Medina Railway Museum in 2007. 6902 was purchased by a private owner in 1995 from the New Georgia Railroad's liquidation, and has been hauling our train since. 5764 also pulled the excursions with us until it was sold to Monticello in late 2003.

The rest of the BN units were purchased for the intent of commuter service between Nashville and Lebanon, which later became the Music City Star. When it was decided to go with F40's, three of them were sold to Larry's Truck and Electric . 9912 still sits here, supposedly owned by Ed Bowers.

"So - What /where was the Broadway Dinner Train?"
The Broadway Dinner Train was an evening excursion operation that ran between Nashville's Riverfront Park and the suburb of Old Hickory, on the shortline railroad Nashville and Eastern. 5764 was the primary motive power, replacing two CF7's leased from the N&E, and served gallantly until the train's demise in 1999. 

Why did the TN Railway Musuem give up the E8 (sold to a private owner?)
From what I understand, one factor was in these units' fuel consumption. We currently have more fuel-efficient locomotives working in tandem, like the F7B's and GP7 405 featured here, and are currently working on an F7A unit to get running in the near future.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/15 07:08 by 576.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/22/15 05:35
Author: wabash2800

The video wouldn't work for me: "Unsupported video type or invalid file path".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/15 06:16 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/22/15 07:18
Author: 576

The video is now playable on my end. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Date: 05/22/15 07:21
Author: wabash2800

Thanks much.

Date: 05/22/15 10:30
Author: krm152

576 mentioned that 9912 is owned by Ed Bowers. He is the owner of Vintage Locomotive Inc. (VLIX). VLIX has locomotives stored at several locations.
ALLEN

Date: 05/22/15 16:14
Author: illini73

krm152 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also I see they have installed a light in the nose door to mimic IC.

Actually, it's a Milwaukee Road F-unit door replacing the PRR original, which you can see alongside the locomotive about halfway back with the TC Central logo on it.
IC used the side-mounted swing-out front lifting lugs, so the PRR-style front exposed ones have been removed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0665 seconds