Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A couple of CN's oldies still out there working.

Date: 04/11/15 02:05
A couple of CN's oldies still out there working.
Author: Ron

I was able to catch the IC 1039 working at Pavilion, near Kalamazoo, Michigan, on the CN South Bend Subdivision at MP 157, on Friday afternoon, April 10, 2015. It was on the Battle Creek, Michigan, to South Bend, Indiana, Local Assignment, picking up some cars en route back to Battle Creek.
I was then able to catch him coming through CN Max at Climax, Michigan, MP 164.8 and also as soon as he cleared the crossovers his westbound counter part was lined to go west at Max, with the GTW 5857.

The attached video is nothing to be bragging about, but I'm showing it here....well just because.  It was raining and very windy and the headlights are glared because of some raindrops on the lens.
There are three short videos combined into one. The very first of the IC 1039 is just a few seconds of it pulling out of Pavilion Yard with their pick-up. The next is the IC 1039 at Climax, and then the GTW 5857 coming west, also at Climax.

The IC 1039 shows being built in February 1999, so it's not that old....yet, and it has been painted in CN colors.
The GTW 5857 was originally built for the Rock Island in November 1978, and it too is in CN colors.

Ron

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/11/15 05:21
Re: A couple of CN's oldies still out there working.
Author: jkh2cpu

That weather looks nasty, Ron, and the dead grass has
gotta go! The trains are first-class.

John.

Date: 04/11/15 06:08
Author: ut-1

Tough to video in those conditions but nice going!

Date: 04/12/15 00:15

John....it was nasty.......windy and raining one minute....and clear and sunny the next. I can't do much about the grass though......it'll turn green all in due time.

And of course the wind had to be coming from the side of my truck with the window open. 

I need to get another bracket to hold my camera back inside the window about a foot so it doesn't get rained on too much.

Ron

Date: 04/12/15 17:29
Author: neilgross

What a coincidence.  I was scanning some slides I shot of IC 1039 when it made a visit to Northern California back in 2008.  I come to TO to kill some time while the slides are scanning and what do I see as the video of the day on the hompeage...IC 1039!

Date: 04/12/15 17:34
Author: bodkin6071

Compared to the SD60's, C40-8's and the IC GP40R's still going, that #1039 is a baby compared to them.

Date: 04/12/15 19:32

neilgross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a coincidence.  I was scanning some slides I shot of IC 1039 when it made a visit to Northern California back in 2008.

If I lived in California, I think I'd think it was rare to see it out there, too. But these things are running around here in Michigan......like ants on an ant hill!  They're all over the place. It gets boring sometimes watching the same old red and black passing by.

Ron

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds