Home Open Account Help 241 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Train time at Ruskov

Date: 03/17/15 03:50
Train time at Ruskov
Author: 86235

I'm currently sitting in the sun at a little station called Ruskov in Slovakia on the mainline connecting the country's second city, Kosice, with Ukraine at Chop. I'm waiting for one of the 5' gauge iron ore trains, which run on the far track in this video, so far without any luck. But there is plenty to entertain me, three standard gauge ore trains have passed, each with a helper they detach at Ruskov. This train, hauled by a CKD built 757 diesel, is the 11:00 Kosice to Humenne in the NE of the country. As you can see ZSSK have a bad problem with graffiti.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/15 04:32 by 86235.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/17/15 04:46
Re: Train time at Ruskov
Author: McKey

Great work Nick! And good luck catching the iron ore train!

Date: 03/17/15 06:48

Surprisingly I found this on the 5' gauge line at Slancik, which is a passing siding. The CKD diesels were shut down but were crewed, they started up and I caught them on the move at Kalsa. They were followed 25 minutes later by an empty ore train, with a pair of double Skoda class 125 up front.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/15 21:58 by 86235.

Date: 03/17/15 06:54

How interesting find! Chem3s still in active use! And you say they were shut down which rarely seems to happen where I've seen these...obviously once you shut down these "Eastern" diesels it might be hard to get started again? So like in Estonia a few years ago they just left the Chem3 units idling for hours...

Keep hunting for trains before camera! :)

Date: 03/17/15 11:15

I saw another empty ore train, chased it towards the border but got hopelessly lost, eventually stumbling on the yard where the Slovak class 125 Skodas are exchangef for Ukrainian power. And just as the sun set I saw a Ukrainian electric loco leave on 52 wagons.

Date: 03/17/15 11:52

Those sound very exciting! Hope tomorrow will be as good or even better chasing trains!

Date: 03/17/15 14:20
Author: chs7-321

McKey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How interesting find! Chem3s still in active use!
> And you say they were shut down which rarely seems
> to happen where I've seen these...obviously once
> you shut down these "Eastern" diesels it might be
> hard to get started again? So like in Estonia a
> few years ago they just left the Chem3 units
> idling for hours...
>
> Keep hunting for trains before camera! :)

I's ChME3, not Chem3. ;)

And, actually, in North America, it's common practice to leave diesels idling over the weekend or overnight.

Date: 03/17/15 15:52
Author: tq-07fan

Skoda must make just about anything with wheels. They make a darn good trolleybus, possibly one of the best in the World. Good video and pictures. Good luck on your travels and on driving in a foreign country. I'll stick with public transit when I'm not in the US (well Canada may be excepted).

Jim

Date: 03/17/15 22:06

Most, maybe all ZSSK and ZSSK Cargo's electric motive power is by Skoda. Today I'm heading to Zilina in the NW of the country before flying home this evening. I must admit I've no difficulty driving on the right, if you are British and you want to tour Europe you have to get used to it. It's a bit like riding a bike.

And in this day and age not having my sword arm free when meeting a stranger isn't too much of a disadvantage!

Date: 03/18/15 00:17

:D

...and sounds like next time here I can ask you to drive part of the trip too. ;)

86235 Wrote:
> And in this day and age not having my sword arm
> free when meeting a stranger isn't too much of a
> disadvantage!

Nick, can you find any Skoda Chem3s with either new body style or raised cabinet next to cab (here it is shown at the shorter end but there are those located where the U.S. locos have electronics too)? These should be of the newer breed. I included a picture of either one below.

Date: 03/18/15 10:55
Author: chs7-321

Guys, the ChME3's are NOT Skoda products......they were made by CKD....

Date: 03/18/15 12:47

chs7-321 Wrote:
> Guys, the ChME3's are NOT Skoda products......they
> were made by CKD....

To be fair no one said they were, the Skoda reference was mine and referred to the class 125 5' gauge double locos that haul the ore trains.

Btw John I did see another T669 today, and almost got a picture of it but by the time I'd turned the car round it was on the move. By its markings it works for KIA - the Korean car maker - which has a large assembly plant in Zilina, with a five road yard for loading cars and a container yard too, presumably for components. The T669 was moving a container train to the main Zilina yard.

Date: 03/19/15 04:04

OK, great hunting with camera!

86235 Wrote:
> Btw John I did see another T669 today, and almost
> got a picture of it but by the time I'd turned the
> car round it was on the move. By its markings it
> works for KIA - the Korean car maker - which has a
> large assembly plant in Zilina, with a five road
> yard for loading cars and a container yard too,
> presumably for components. The T669 was moving a
> container train to the main Zilina yard.

Date: 03/20/15 18:26
Author: pbernath

+1

That is only a short ways from my Dad's hometown in Satoraljaujhely, Hungary.  Thanks for the look!

Paul Bernath
Crawford, NE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds