Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Nostalgia & History > Buffers and link couplers

Date: 03/22/17 08:17
Buffers and link couplers
Author: Auburnrail

I posted this on the International board also, but someone here might know.
Do all the European and Asian rail cars  that use buffers and link coupler coupled and uncoupled by hand? This seems a lot like the link pin couplers outlawed in the US over 100 years ago? Also, if still done this way it has to be incredibly inefficient.
Thanks for any insight.
George Andrassy

Date: 03/22/17 08:38
Re: Buffers and link couplers
Author: tq-07fan

Here, this thread I think covers your question which has been asked here before.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,3342108,3342179#msg-3342179

Some European countries still do loose car freight such as Switzerland and Germany. A lot of trains are kept together as small unit trains so they never have to be broke up. Also you are dealing with changing couplers on equipment in dozens of countries instead of just three as we have in North America.

Jim

Date: 03/22/17 10:10
Author: trainjunkie

Those Europeans are nucking futs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/17 10:13 by trainjunkie.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/22/17 12:33
Author: africansteam

And here is how it's done on the narrow gauge Shibanxi Coal Railway in Shibanxi, China - sans buffers. The Chinese standard gauge equipment, per American practice does not use buffers.

Date: 03/22/17 12:50
Author: LocoPilot750

I'm just so glad the guy in the video is wearing his safety orange.

Date: 03/22/17 14:57
Author: tomstp

That fella in orange is nuts.  The engineer had no way of knowing to slow down since no one was there to signal him, he was standing in the middle of the track.    UGH.

Date: 03/22/17 15:05
Author: exhaustED

Not all UK wagons/cars have the hook and screw couplers. All wagons in the UK have buffers (i think!) but some have knuckle couplers e.g. long aggregate trains and some coal trains. As a result some locos have a hook but also a knuckle or 'buckeye' coupling that can be swung to the side.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/17 15:17 by exhaustED.

Date: 03/22/17 16:45
Author: YukonYeti

LKAB, the Swedish iron ore company uses the Russian SA3 coupler which similar to the US standard.  I have been told,  LKAB had originally wanted use the American Type F coupler but could not secure sufficient quantities at the time of the building of ore car fleet.The IOORE electrics are equipped with buffers.  When built the IOREs were equipped on the B end with Type F which have since been changed to the SA3 standard.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds