Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Nostalgia & History > Milwaukee PR footage

Date: 02/09/16 07:12
Milwaukee PR footage
Author: webmaster

About a year ago I acquired a 1400 foot 16mm reel of Kodachrome PR motion picture film for the Milwaukee Road.  The film included many scenes of people having fun at various vacation spots along the railroad. Included in the film were a number of railroad scenes. This is raw footage used to make rough edits and is silent with no sound.  This is a short segment from the longer film. More to follow in months to come.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/09/16 09:29
Re: Milwaukee PR footage
Author: MartyBernard

Wow!  Those were sure interesting scenes. I look forward to more.

Marty Bernard

Date: 02/09/16 09:41
Author: cabman

The opening sequence appears to be the Olympian Hi crossing the Wisconsin River at Wisconsin Dells going east.  A great find!

Date: 02/09/16 09:54
Author: wabash2800

In the first scene. Notice the bounce on the upper qudrant semaphore controlled by a motor at the bottom of the mast.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 02/09/16 11:04
Author: NebraskaZephyr

cabman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The opening sequence appears to be the Olympian Hi
> crossing the Wisconsin River at Wisconsin Dells
> going east.  A great find!

Also evidently VERY early in the train's existence, as there are heavyweight sleepers standing in for the Pullman-built 10-6 and Skytop sleepers, which arrived from the builder after the train's inauguration.

The scene at Canal St. Chicago with the E7s departing also has an interesting cobbled-up consist with a diner very far forward, coaches in the original Olympian Hiawatha scheme and an older beaver-tail observation from perhaps the 1942 consist.

NZ

Date: 02/09/16 11:26
Author: Englewood

I like the way the engineer was "cracking the whip" with the rear end over Canal St.

Also, how could 2 E7's handle 9 cars at 100 mph when current Chicago - St. Louis trains need 2 4000hp motors
with 5 or 6 cars ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/16 20:32 by Englewood.

Date: 02/09/16 11:31
Author: stuporchief

Oh MAN these are nice. Please post more!

Date: 02/09/16 12:42
Author: crackerjackhoghead

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the first scene. Notice the bounce on the upper
> qudrant semaphore controlled by a motor at the
> bottom of the mast.
>
> Victor A. Baird
> http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

That bounce is the result of the pneumatic dashpot on those style-S semaphores. They sure come down quick. I'm used to the slow, controlled descent of GRS 2-A's.

Date: 02/09/16 12:46
Author: MILW16

Those a some great films.  Amazingly clear!  Thanks for posting and I am looking forward to seeing more.

Date: 02/09/16 16:51
Author: Ritzville

EXCELLENT!!

Larry

Date: 02/09/16 17:23
Author: BruceStikkers

Really nice, the paint scheme on the end cars of the last train is new to me, looks good. I grew up near the Milwaukee Road line heading straight west out of Chicago.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL

Date: 02/14/16 07:21
Author: mp51w

Scweeeet!  I agree with Bruce, that is an interesting paint scheme with the extral lines.
Good job on the video transfer and upload Todd!  Looking forward to the next installment.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds