Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Powhatan Arrow or the Pocahontas - what do you recommend? 611

Date: 01/17/17 07:13
The Powhatan Arrow or the Pocahontas - what do you recommend? 611
Author: kurt765

The Powhatan Arrow or the Pocahontas are the two 611 trips available on the date I'm looking to make the pilgrimage East. Having grown up in Fort Wayne, Indiana with big steam excursions regularly going past my house, I have seen 611 many times as a kid. I really want to see her in her second excursion career.

So, tickets not being cheap, which of these two trips do you recommend (both is not an option for me)? I'm not familiar with the area. It seems the Powhatan Arrow goes up Blue Ridge and the Pocahontas climbs up and down on its own route which includes a tunnel. Are the views better on one or the other? Or please just share your general thoughts on these two trips to help me decide. Thanks!

-K

Date: 01/17/17 07:30
Re: The Powhatan Arrow or the Pocahontas - what do you recommend?
Author: johnacraft

kurt765 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, tickets not being cheap, which of these two trips do you recommend (both is not an option for
> me)? I'm not familiar with the area. It seems the Powhatan Arrow goes up Blue Ridge and the
> Pocahontas climbs up and down on its own route which includes a tunnel. Are the views better on
> one or the other? Or please just share your general thoughts on these two trips to help me decide. Thanks!

Eastbound climb from Bonsack to Blue Ridge: 6 miles
Westbound climb from Villamont to Blue Ridge: 5 miles

Westbound climb from Elliston to Christiansburg: 12 miles
Eastbound climb from Vicker to Christiansburg: 4 miles

In my opinion, the route from Salem to Christiansburg to Vicker is more photogenic from lineside, and probably be a more scenic ride (if that's what you're looking for). Lots of photo links here to show you what the two lines look like.

Date: 01/17/17 11:57
Author: Emmo213

We're riding the Arrow and will chase the Pocahontas. 

Date: 01/17/17 15:41
Author: Tominde

Ride the westbound train in the afternoon.   You watch the morning run go up Blue Ridge.   The westbound run goes past Shaffers Crossing Locomotive shop.  You will see more diesels in 5 minutes rolling past than you do in a year trackside.  Beautiful scenery in the mountains. 

Short video I posted previously, but you may have missed it. 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/17/17 16:18
Author: Jimbo

If you can only ride one do the afternoon run to the Walton wye near Radford.  There are six trips that weekend so you can chase some of the other morning and afternoon trips.  Saturday usually sells faster than the Sunday and Monday trips so if you have to do Saturday you should get those tickets now.

Date: 01/17/17 21:20
Author: The_Void

Good news is more space between full domes... and lots of short domes. ;)

Date: 01/23/17 08:34
Author: kurt765

Thank you!

Date: 02/03/17 08:17
Author: capnskullnbones

This video got me thinking...what's the status of the CPLs along the routes from Roanoke to Lynchburg and Walton?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0559 seconds