Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Steam & Excursion > Union Pacific 3895 Marlin to Waco, Texas 1995

Date: 11/25/16 11:10
Union Pacific 3895 Marlin to Waco, Texas 1995
Author: neildahl

All,
June 15th, 1995, and the Union Pacific 3895 Challenger is traveling from Bremond to Waco, Texas returning from the 1995 Gulf Coast Eagle excursion.

Enjoy,

Neil

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/25/16 12:01
Re: Union Pacific 3895 Marlin to Waco, Texas 1995
Author: co614

Wonder how Steve was able to operate her without hanging half way out the wiindow?? Must come from years of experience??  Nice footage.

Ross Rowland

Date: 11/25/16 12:47
Author: Realist

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder how Steve was able to operate her without
> hanging half way out the wiindow?? Must come from
> years of experience??  Nice footage.
>
>    Ross Rowland

That sure looks like Bob3985 doing the honors.

Regardless, you make a good point, Ross. That crew was always aware that the locomotive was the attraction, not them indiviually.

Date: 11/25/16 12:54
Author: Frisco1522

Driving alongside and watching the valve gear working is hypnotic.  One of my earliest memories of "pacing" was when I was about 8 and was in the back seat of the car coming home on old Hwy 66 and keeping pace with a Frisco 1500 on an EB passenger train.  Mom did a good job of staying with him and Dad, having a "busman's holiday" watching too. 
I wish we had a USB port on our head and could download good memories.
Ross, maybe Steve didn't like bugs in his teeth.

Date: 11/25/16 13:19
Author: Cumbresfan

I well remember the inbound 3895 trip to Houston. I had secured a ticket from Fort Worth and traveled up from College Station where I was working. I had stayed up the previous night to complete a work proposal for a client and was dead tired when I checked into the motel. I placed a wake up call but should have set the clock too. I woke up about the time the train left Fort Worth and had to determine my next move. I hurriedly checked out of the motel and called a cab to take me to Waco which was a service stop (I didn't really comprehend how much that would actually cost).

The cab started down I-35 and about the halfway point it blew a tire and we ended up in the median. The cabbie didn't have a spare so we stood on there while he tried to figure out what to do. After a few minutes a man in a pickup sees me there with my bag and stops to help. He says he's going to Waco and would give me a lift. I pay the cabbie for as far as we traveled. I get in the pickup and we get to the train before it leaves. I give the driver cash for gas and more, and once I show my ticket to the train crew, they let me on. I remember the pre-trip much more clearly than the rest of it to Houston.

Lesson learned is always have at least two ways to get awakened when leaving for a trip or having an early appointment.

Date: 11/25/16 13:29
Author: wpjones

Easy, You have a Fireman that you trust and comunicate ,non-verbaly,with constantly.
When I rode in the Cab with Steve running and Bob firing I was amazed at how they comunicated almost constantly and very few words were yelled above the wonderful noise of it all.
Steve

co614 Wrote:
> Wonder how Steve was able to operate her without
> hanging half way out the wiindow?? Must come from
> years of experience??  Nice footage.
>
>    Ross Rowland

Date: 11/25/16 19:00
Author: GGIBSON

where is th old gal 3985 now ?
GG

Date: 11/26/16 11:20

GGIBSON Wrote:
> where is th old gal 3985 now ?
> GG
>  

Sitting in the roundhouse at Cheyenne being cannibalized.

Last ran in November, 2010. Was ready to run in early 2011.

New manager mothballed it in early 2011 and has been using it as a parts source ever since.

Has repeatedly said, "It will never run again in my lifetime."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/16 11:22 by Realist.

Date: 11/26/16 23:28
Author: hawkinsun

Every time I read more about the 3985, my blood preasure goes up, or more like,  boils.   What the H is wrong with that UP new manager ?   I don't know how things go in these big steam circles, but don't these guys buy sell and trade parts anywhere they can get them from ?   When they can't be found, I guess a last resort would be to have a new one made.   I'm wondering for one, what is his big vendeta against the 3985 ?   Can't he get the parts he needs from any of the other UP Big Boys out there, on a trade basis, since none of the other ones are likely ever to run again, and they'd only need a cosmetic rather than functioning part ?   Didn't he do a trade of sorts to get the whole 4014 in the first place, or was that kind of a procurement ?   Seems to me to be rather of a sacrilige to dismember a nearly working, or rather complete locomotive such as the 3985 just to fix one of their other ones.    I'm sure it's probably been posted on here before, and sorry I missed it, but what exactly are all the ailments and or missing pieces afflicting the 3985 ?   I thought it was just due for it's normal 15 year flue renewal and recertification along with other normal bits an pieces that these steamers routinely require.   Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass, but dosen't the 3985 require less work to get running than the 4014 ?   I don't have anything against fixing 4014, but this thing with the 3985 just beats the dickens out of me.

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 11/27/16 13:50

hawkinsun Wrote:
>
> this thing with the 3985 just beats the
> dickens out of me.
>
> Craig Hanson
> Vay, Idaho

Now THAT is the funny statement of the day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/16 12:37 by Realist.

Date: 11/29/16 18:30
Author: ProAmtrak

Yeah but he made a good point Realist, it seems all Ed cares for is 4014 running which the countown less than 3 to make the trip to Ogedn, whats the chances that'll get pulled off without cutting corners!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0575 seconds