Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Steam & Excursion > R&N 425 last Sunday (photos/video)

Date: 10/15/16 19:44
R&N 425 last Sunday (photos/video)
Author: OCtrainguy

Over Columbus Day weekend my wife and I make a trip to Jim Thorpe and the Lehigh Gorge in Pennsylvania.  On Sunday, we headed into Jim Thorpe to catch the arrival of the Autumn Leaf Excursion train being pulled the R&N 425.  Knowing how bad traffic can be trying to get into and out of Jim Thorpe at times, especially the fall weekends, we went to the Lehigh Gorge State Park and rode the bicycles from there to Jim Thorpe.  (The main parking lot by the station was closed/full by eleven o'clock.) 

Cloudy skies still dominated late Sunday morning as the excursion train from Port Clinton arrived.  Given that sun wouldn't be a factor, I stayed on the station side, giving me a broader view of the train arriving.  When it's sunny out, I'll photo from the parking lot side.  Okay, onto the photos.

1.  Zoom photo of the train rounding the curves outside the station area
2.  Pulling into the station
3.  Another station view

More to follow...

Date: 10/15/16 19:45
Re: R&N 425 last Sunday (photos/video)

Continuing the photos.  After the passengers disembarked the train, it pulled south of the station (not 100% sure of exactly where) and the steam engine uncoupled from the train.  The steam engine then headed back to the station area to take a spin on the turntable and get serviced.

4.  The train had come back to the station area and was waiting for the Lehigh Gorge train to leave
5.  The steam engine in the station area
6.  After a spin on the turntable, the engine got some water and the crew did some service on the engine.  

More to follow...

Date: 10/15/16 19:47

Continuing the last few photos.  After heading back to the Lehigh Gorge State Park on the bicycles, enjoying a lunch and taking a ride into the park, it was time to head to Nesquehoning to catch the outbound Autumn Leaf Excursion train as it headed back to Port Clinton.

7.  Was hoping for more color, but I can't complain as the afternoon got real nice and the homeowner left the trailer in a nice spot to use as a prop
8.  I went with a vertical look here
9.  Last photo of R&N 425 and its train.

I have two videos to share next.

Date: 10/15/16 20:07

Here are two vidoes of the R&N 425 from last Sunday.

1.  The train at Nesquehoning.  The skies had cleared out nicely and the engine sounded great.
2.  The train arriving in Jim Thorpe earlier in the day.  Disclaimer that I had some generators from the food vendors kick up sound as I was recording the train's arrival.  I'm still posting the video as you can see the attention the steam engine gets from railfans, passengers of the other ehigh Gorge trains and those around the station area as it approached.

Hope you enjoy the photos and videos.  I always look forward to the weekend trip to the area.  Aside from the R&N/Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway, it's nice and peaceful in the Lehigh Gorge State Park and enjoy the chance for a bike ride and/or a walk.  

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds