Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Steam & Excursion > U.P. 844 makes great backdrop for historic sign & station

Date: 10/15/16 15:29
U.P. 844 makes great backdrop for historic sign & station
Author: JoCoLB

I have long admired historic Union Pacific Railroad "Overland Route" signs that remain  mounted on the sides of an underpass on North 2nd St./U.S. 59 highway in Lawrence, Kan., on the north side of the Kansas River. 

With U.P.'s famed steam locomotive No. 844 scheduled to make an eastbound  service stop in Lawrence Saturday afternoon, I decided to attempt a photo of the historic engine moving past the antique company logo. 

These first two shots show the sign and the double main curve that exists on the rail bridge that spans the street/highway below.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/16 17:00 by JoCoLB.

Date: 10/15/16 15:31
Re: U.P. 844 makes great backdrop for historic sign & station

Photos Three, Four and Five show 844 approaching the rail bridge as it slows for the Lawrence station stop. 

Date: 10/15/16 15:33

Seated in the cab on the high side of the curve, engineer Ed Dickens was leaning about as far as he could to view the stop ahead.

Date: 10/15/16 15:35

Here's a shot of the head end of the train after it stopped in front of the historic U.P. depot in Lawrence. The restored building serves as a railroad museum and event center.

Date: 10/15/16 15:39

With it being a Saturday, there was a large crowd of people of all ages who turned out in Lawrence to view the train while it made a planned stop for servicing and give people a chance to photograph the 42-year-old steam locomotive. 

(Photos by Larry Byers)

Date: 10/15/16 15:49

After taking my series of photos at Lawrence, I jumped ahead of the #844  train at Bonner Springs, Kan. I decided to shoot a video clip of the special train there as I knew it would probably be highballing through the community at track speed. I wasn't disappointed.

The train is now on display at the Kansas City Union Station.

(Video by Larry Byers)

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/15/16 16:18
Author: meixel

Thank you for the nice pictures!  844 ws built in December of 1944 so she's 71 years old.

Date: 10/15/16 16:28

So, I'm older by 11 months. Wish I could get a complete rebuild. 

Date: 10/15/16 16:44
Author: dougd

Thanks for recording this historical sign and engine!  Great idea and photos!   Thanks for posting!

Date: 10/15/16 17:06
Author: LocoPilot750

I was there someplace Larry. I do see my wife, daughter-in-law, and the two year old twin grand sons in #8, but I must have walked off.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0782 seconds