Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Steam & Excursion > Audio: 611 At Blue Ridge, Virginia

Date: 05/25/16 09:01
Audio: 611 At Blue Ridge, Virginia
Author: MaryMcPherson

Back in the fifties, one of the more well known places to photograph Norfolk & Western steam working the eastbound grade to the summit of Blue Ridge was a country overpass on Blue Ridge Springs Road.  You name the photographer from the era who shot the N&W; they shot there.

Plenty of movie film was shot there as well.  There are numerous scenes from the location on commercial DVDs available today that feature shots from that bridge: Green Frog's "Steam In The Fifties" and WB Video's "Blue Ridge Steam" come to mind off hand.

The shot was very photogenic as trains rounded a curve, traveresed a straightaway with a tree covered hill behind, and then curved around before passing below.  After passing under the bridge, tracks curved around again before passing from sight.  There was perhpas no better place to shoot a coal train slogging up the hill with volcanic pillars of exhaust shooting skyward from a Y leading an A with another Y blasting away against the caboose.

In planning to shoot 611 on Blue Ridge I scanned the Google Maps like Inspector Clouseau with magnifying glass in hand... and like Inspector Clouseau coming up clueless.  And no wonder.  The bridge has been gone for decades.

So the Friday before the trips, we were scouting locations with a list one of our group had been compiling.  Keeping closer to the track, even when that led me off the main highway, I kept an eye on the GPS for roads that looked promising whether they were on the list or not.  Approaching a little dead end drive to the right showing the name "Blue Ridge Springs Road," I said "Let's see what's down here."  George was a bit indifferent, as the road wasn't on the list he compiled and we had a lot of sites still to check out.  But hey, I was driving.

So we turned right down this narrow country lane and came upon a dead-end alongside the track with a fair amount of space to turn around and park.  I stepped out of the van and walked to the edge of the cut, and noticed the remains of the footings for a long abandoned bridge.  Then I noticed the curve.

"This is it!  This is the spot!"  I exclaimed.  Followed by, "No wonder I couldn't find it!"

Kurt was as thrilled to find it as I was.  Even though tree growth has intruded on the scene, blocking the long view that was there a half-century ago, we found ourselves at the same spot all these photos and films we have enjoyed were taken.  And hey, if you've never been in the area before, it is a bit of a charge to realize you're treading the same ground made famous by O. Winston Link.

Sunday morning, I got there plenty early to set up for a shot (the video scene has been seen here a couple of weeks ago) and broke out the audio gear.  There were only a few people there Sunday, with a few more that walked by as they followed the track to their prefered locations (good to meet you, Mitch).  I took the sound gear up a trail a bit to the east; just far enough that any talking by the small crowd would be out of earshot.

This recording was made with a Xoom H4n digital recorder and an Audio-Technica AT-8022 stereo microphone.  I would suggest either playing this on some very good speakers, or on a good set of headphones.  The speakers on an average laptop probably isn't going to cut it, as there is a lot of detail in the sound as the 611 approaches from a couple of miles away.

Enjoy!

The photos are of me and Kurt caught up in the moment of discovering a place that is possibly as close to hallowed ground we'll ever find on a railfan adventure.  I hope you'll forgive the indulgence.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/25/16 09:22
Re: Audio: 611 At Blue Ridge, Virginia
Author: kjkriigel

Very nice Mary! We were hoping to hear your recording!  We enjoyed your video from the same location when you posted it a couple of weeks ago.
I was fortunate to be waiting with you at that spot on that same day. Awesome. You captured it.
Jeb

Date: 05/25/16 17:58
Author: ut-1

Outstanding!

Date: 05/26/16 05:07
Author: feltonhill

Shades of the OWL himself!!  Superb composition and sound.  You've captured an audio time machine.  Many thanks for the long lead and trailer.  That's what makes this stuff great.

Date: 05/26/16 08:31
Author: MaryMcPherson

Thanks all.

Audio was my first love, going back to when I was about 10.  I made my first steam recording on my 11th birthday, and I've been at it ever since.

Speaking of O.W.L., check out the CD "Time Freight" released through the Link museum in Roanoke.  Excellent recordings made aboard freights 84 and 85 behind Class A #1238 over a period of several days.  These recordings were made during the sessions that produced the "Mainline To Panther" record, and the quality stands up well against anything recorded today.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 05/28/16 06:21
Author: apollo17

Any idea why the bridge was removed? As far as the tree line being in the way....well there's an easy way to take care of that and make the secne as it was back then. Dozers, chainsaws and logging trucks. Yeah I know, that's not gonna happen.

Date: 05/29/16 12:23
Author: feltonhill

Mary,

Thanks for the mention of the Time Freight CD.  It shows how N&W moved merchandise trains in late 1958/early 1959.  Fast and furious, the A's were no slouches!!

Date: 06/02/16 15:27
Author: Sasquatch

Outstanding recording, Mary, bravo!

Glad you found the location.  Years ago I was trying to find that bridge (from the west coast!) and recieved some excellent help from several T.O. members; perhaps those can be of some use to you...

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,2767929,2767929#msg-2767929

Thanks again for posting your excellent recording...made my day!

-Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0614 seconds