Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > An 8-hour late EB Amtrak Southwest Chief at KC, Mo.

Date: 03/23/17 16:47
An 8-hour late EB Amtrak Southwest Chief at KC, Mo.
Author: JoCoLB

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to visit Kansas City Union Station this afternoon, Thursday, March 23, 2017, after I heard Amtrak's eastbound Southwest Chief (No. 4) was running about 8 hours late.

The SW Chief is scheduled to arrive in KC at 7:43 a.m. but it was about 3:40 p.m. when it arrived. What was neat is that No. 4 pulled up beside the EB Amtrak River Runner, which was being readied for its afternoon/evening run to St. Louis. 

I've snapped some photos and videos of No. 4 running late in past years but this is the first time I decided to video the late arrival at KCUS.

Amtrak engines No. 2 and No. 199 were heading up the train.

I had heard via the rumor mill that the train had to do an engine swap somewhere, plus there was also an emergency medical stop in Western Kansas for an ill passenger. It apparently was one of those long trips where there were major interruptions and delays. 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/23/17 17:02
Re: An 8-hour late EB Amtrak Southwest Chief at KC, Mo.

I did some looking around after videoing No. 4's arrival. 

This view of the trackage on the north side of KCUS shows a Multi-Purpuse Machine (MPM), which had been picking up some cross ties along a north track. Next is an estbound BNSF hopper train. At right are the SW Chief and River Runner awaiting departure. In the background, you can even get a glimpse of one of Kansas City's fairly new street cars crossing over the railroad tracks on the Main Street bridge.

Date: 03/23/17 17:08

I found a former Kansas City Southern E-9 passenger engine basking in the spring sun on the west side of the massive KC  Union Station. The sexy looking locomotive is sometimes sheltered under the northwest corner of the building. This beauty of an engine always draws me near, especially on a bright sunny day. It photographs so well. 

(Photos and video by Larry Byers) 

Date: 03/23/17 17:31

Oops! I had intended to include this still photo of the No. 4 train on its approach to KCUS before I switched to video mode.

(Photo by Larry Byers) 

Date: 03/23/17 17:53
Author: The_Chief_Way

Larry the KCS 34 is an FP9, not an E.  Fewer wheels.

Date: 03/23/17 18:02

Thanks. I always get the model numbers wrong.  I need to keep better notes in my old age. 

Date: 03/23/17 18:06

This view shows the SW Chief parked beside the River Runner on the north side of KCUS. The River Runner departed first but not after waiting for some transfers. 

(Photo by Larry Byers) 

Date: 03/23/17 18:13
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Yes, not even close to an E9.

Date: 03/23/17 18:39
Author: The_Chief_Way

That's OK, Larry. They have the same shape.  Hang in there !

Date: 03/23/17 20:43
Author: CarolVoss

Have a railfan friend and wife on board  this train-/ yes, indeedy, it has been an interesting trip from LA. As they say,  Late trains get later------
C

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 03/24/17 15:12
Author: Hookdragkick

Probably doesn't help that The Seligman is doing ties and rail production together. Double wammy!

Posted from Android

Date: 03/24/17 20:30
Author: bnsfrr805

Was watching YouTube videos and someone had taped this train as if did it station stop in Riverside, CA (2nd stop on SW Chief).  In that video AMTK 2 was leading AMTK 199.  So no locomotive swap or change on this trip.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x1bi1aNBrE

Steve White
Carthage, TX

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/17 20:44 by bnsfrr805.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds