Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some pre-trip hype: Coal Country

Date: 03/10/17 17:56
Some pre-trip hype: Coal Country
Author: wko

Beginning of next week, myself, a friend, and his dad planned a 4-day trip to Wyoming, part of South Dakota, and part of Nebraska, to see the Powder River coal country. This would be the 1st time those two had been to the area. The four days will shape up like so:
  • Day 1: Guernsey to Orin
  • Day 2: Powder River Basin
  • Day 3: Gillette to just south of Edgemont
  • Day 4: Crawford Hill

This past Saturday night I got a message from my friend, and not a good one. His dad had passed away. After some time had gone by, I wondered what would become of the trip the two of them were looking so forward to going on. I finally got the courage to ask a few days later, and my friend said he didn't think it would be right for him to go. I can completely understand that.

So my next question was: do I still go by myself? I've got the time off from work and have already researched photo spots, hotels, good places to eat, etc. I finally made up my mind last night that I will continue the trip as a tribute.

Now for the video. I had edited this video together a couple weeks ago as a way to hype my friend up for the trip, well before this terrible time happened. In the video, we see a couple different scenes of coal loads climbing Crawford Hill - the first in July of 2015 and the second in October of 2016 - both at the lower horseshoe along Saw Log Road.

I do feel a little weird about going, but I believe this is gonna be a great trip! Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed!
~wko

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/10/17 18:40
Re: Some pre-trip hype: Coal Country
Author: drgw0579

You should take your ol'man.  He needs to get away from those HO trains....

Date: 03/10/17 23:13
Author: wko

Hey now, they have N Scale too! Haha

But I mentioned that to him a couple days ago and he said he could take a day to do Crawford, but didn't have the time off to do any of the rest of it.
~wko

Date: 03/11/17 08:02
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice video. Nice that will continue the trip as a tribute.
John

Date: 03/12/17 22:31
Author: GTWMISteve

Very impressive!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.039 seconds