Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Turning a blocked U.P. grade crossing into a rare photo opp

Date: 10/19/16 05:49
Turning a blocked U.P. grade crossing into a rare photo opp
Author: JoCoLB

I was on my way to a middle school football game late Tuesday afternoon when I stumbled onto a Union Pacific Railroad local working a CSM Bakery Products plant on the north end of an industrial spur (former ATSF Railway Leavenworth branch) in Bonner Springs, Kan. The local already had Santa Fe Road blocked only a couple of blocks from the Bonner Springs High School football stadium where the game was to be played.

Unlike some other motorists who were turning around to take a detour, I decided it was a golden opportunity to shoot some pictures and a video clip. A four-axle EMD GP engine was in charge of the local.

Photo One shows the general scene when I first spotted the local, which had already started its various moves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/16 06:11 by JoCoLB.

Date: 10/19/16 05:54
Re: Turning a blocked U.P. grade crossing into a rare photo opp

Let's get to the action. Here is a video clip of the train starting to shove some cars into the bakery plant.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/19/16 05:56

This view shows the head end portion of the train on the industrial spur lead on the east side of Santa Fe Road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/16 05:57 by JoCoLB.

Date: 10/19/16 06:01

The industrial spur is stubbed off a short distance north of the CSM plant track. This provides a good spot to park the caboose or shoving platform before switching takes place. This view shows two empty hoppers next to the caboose after being pulled from the plant site. 

Date: 10/19/16 06:02

Here is a better side view of the caboose. I snapped this picture through the windshield of my car on leaving the area. 

Date: 10/19/16 06:04

There is a rather steep incline for the local to negotiate as it moves in and out of the CSM plant just off of the lead.

Date: 10/19/16 06:08

Here's my parting shot as I headed on to the ball game after the train cleared the crossing. 

I'm happy to report that my grandson's team won their football game, 22-18.  With the game victory and bagging this unexpected series of photos, I considered it a double good day.

(Photos by Larry Byers, 6-18-15)

Date: 10/19/16 06:09

I've been told the four-axle U.P. #730 is a former Missouri Pacific Railroad engine. 

Date: 10/19/16 09:43
Author: GP30Frank

JoCoLB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been told the four-axle U.P. #730 is a former
> Missouri Pacific Railroad engine. 

MP  2230

Date: 10/19/16 11:41

What model is it?

Date: 10/19/16 12:39
Author: SPMW6600

JoCoLB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What model is it?
>  

EMD GP38-2. Btw, the strobes on the cab roof denote that it's a remote control locomotive.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds