Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > KLTG2 and ZBRLC in September

Date: 10/16/16 14:55
KLTG2 and ZBRLC in September
Author: cchan006

This video is for TO members who like to study the makeup of an intermodal train.

On last Saturday of September, I was heading from the Bay Area to Modesto to catch the last Amtrak San Joaquin to Bakersfield, for a little foaming in Tehachapi the next day. On my way there, I kept overhearing crews talking smack to each other, and my guess based on the conversation was that a Stockton-bound grain train was waiting for a "K train" to depart Lathrop or Stockton, so the grainer can enter Stockton Yard via the Oakland Sub (ex-WP). The grainer crew was taunting the K train crew to depart ASAP.

I figured I had enough time to go to my favorite overhead angle north of Stockton along the Fresno Sub, on the south end of Tomspur at Eight Mile Road.

First clip is the KLTG2 heading north toward Roseville. K = priority intermodal, LT = Lathrop, G2 = Global 2 (Illinois). Entire 2x2 train is shown.

The grainer then departed south, and I had some time to kill since DS 56 mentioned Amtrak heading south somewhere between Need and Acampo (possibly reassuring the impatient "K train" crew on why they were getting color). That Amtrak happened to be a late-running #704, one before the one I was planning to take, #718.

Not too long after hearing DS 56, I saw headlights in the distance, yet it seemed a little too soon for the Amtrak to cover Need/Acampo to Tomspur so quickly... ~15 miles in less than 5 minutes? As the train got closer, I realized it was a freight, and it was the "minus" version of the Brooklyn, the southbound ZBRLC (BR = Brooklyn, OR, LC = LATC, or Los Angeles Trailer and Container intermodal facility), running ahead of Amtrak #704.

That's the second clip, and entire train is shown, with 4 engines (GE Tier 4, SD70ACe, GE Tier 4, GEVO, no DPU). The train did a setout at Lathrop, and I actually paced the train on Hwy 99 between Manteca and Modesto on my way to the Amtrak station.

That's all folks.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/16/16 17:50
Re: KLTG2 and ZBRLC in September
Author: StStephen

Thanks cchan006 for showing us the entire train!  I am one of those who really likes to see the entire consist, enough to get a picture of who (besides the "unknowns" using EMP and UMAX) is shipping by rail, especially the truckers.  Great job.

Bruce

Date: 10/16/16 22:26
Author: jmf1910

Nice video, Charles! I always love hearing the clickety-clack of the wheels slamming against the Tomspur switch at high speed. Great light as well!

It'a hard to believe how quiet the Tier 4 GEVOs run--I'm still getting used to that.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/17/16 00:30
Author: Fizzboy7

Very nice work here.   This would be the last era of Pacer Stacktrain, so it's nice to get one last look.   The old style Interstate logo is also quickly fading.
So is the DSV trailer a regular here or a one-off?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds