Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Topping Crawford Hill 2x2x1 Style

Date: 11/17/15 12:21
Topping Crawford Hill 2x2x1 Style
Author: wko

On July 12, I arrived at Belmont, the summit of Crawford Hill after my college roommate's wedding. I saw several trains in the 25 hours I was there, the most interesting being a coal load in a 2-by-2-by-1 configuration. BNSF 5891 and 6421 were the lead locomotives, BNSF 8901 and 8485 were in the middle, and BNSF 6331 was by itself on the rear.

I found it interesting there were no helpers on the train, as I was under the impression that these trains had more cars on them than ones without mid-train DPs. At the time, I had forgotten BNSF was running these trains, so I was caught off guard and out of position when the first set of DPUs came out from the cut.

This is a test of the new computer and editing software that I got last week. Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed!
~wko

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/15 12:51 by wko.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/17/15 13:05
Re: Topping Crawford Hill 2x2x1 Style
Author: AndyBrown

Nice video.  It's always fun to see phtos of these trains out west.

Andy

Date: 11/17/15 13:22
Author: JoCoLB

What was the car count for this train?

Date: 11/17/15 13:37

Thanks, Andy!

JoCoLB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What was the car count for this train?

Unfortunately, I do not know. When I read the original thread in December, I had figured they'd be 150 cars or something like that. For this one, I wasn't expecting, it thinking it was a regular coal train, so I had turned the camera off and was back at my vehicle when the mid-trains popped around the corner. Hopefully an employee can get us an actual number!
~wko

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/15 13:37 by wko.

Date: 11/17/15 14:16
Author: ns1000

I enjoyed the video!!

Date: 11/17/15 18:51
Author: sp4294

wko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, Andy!
>
> JoCoLB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What was the car count for this train?
>
> Unfortunately, I do not know. When I read the
> original thread in December, I had figured they'd
> be 150 cars or something like that. For this one,
> I wasn't expecting, it thinking it was a regular
> coal train, so I had turned the camera off and was
> back at my vehicle when the mid-trains popped
> around the corner. Hopefully an employee can get
> us an actual number!
> ~wko

Those 2x2x1 trains are around 128 cars or so. Atleast that's how many cars were on the one I ran the one time I got one of these trains when working out of Edgemont last winter. The mid-train DP's are usually around 80 cars deep. I don't recall the symbol for these trains, but the destination is Ottumowa, IA. When empty the trains usually arrive 4x1, once loaded they get rearranged at Donkey Creek yard and the two units taken from the head end and put in the middle. It was a great train to run. I wish they were all set up this way. The only 150 car trains have the symbol RRS or THH and are set up 2x2. These trains are normally routed south through Guernsey, WY and typically are loaded at NARM North, North Antelope, or South Antelope mines.

Tim Stricker
Gillette, WY

Date: 11/17/15 23:44

Many thanks for the info, Tim! (and thanks, ns1000 for the kind words!) Interesting that you say that about wishing they were all set up this way. It would certainly make things more interesting for us trackside!
~wko

Date: 11/19/15 01:34
Author: ns6704

I have seen BNSF coal trains to Plant Shearer in Juliette Ga with a 164 cars with two on front and two on back. They used to pull 124 cars but believe has been up graded to 164 cars for sometime now.

Date: 11/19/15 15:31
Author: turnquly

Thanks for the interesting video.  I love to go to Nebraska and Crawford Hill.

Good job.

R L Turnquist (turnquly)

Date: 11/20/15 13:51
Author: ProAmtrak

Love the sound of the 2 lead units, that's mountain railroading at it's best when you got the locomotives just screaming up a steep grade with a heavy train!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds