Home Open Account Help 215 users online

Steam & Excursion > Canadian Pacific 2816 Heading toward Portage Today

Date: 05/05/24 18:24
Canadian Pacific 2816 Heading toward Portage Today
Author: RailRyder

Here are a few quick videos I was able to get today of the Canadian Pacific 2816 on its journey from St. Paul to Portage. Magnificent train! Not a fan of the whistle, however. 

-Jim Fetchero

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/05/24 18:27
Re: Canadian Pacific 2816 Heading toward Portage Today
Author: RailRyder

One more run-by!

-Jim Fetchero

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/05/24 18:31
Author: radar

Thanks for the great video.  It looks and sounds like the 2816 is pulling hard and the diesels are just coasting along.

Date: 05/05/24 20:07
Author: bgiaquin

Nice vid. I agree about the whistle, she has a beautiful 6 chime that is really nice, but for whatever reason the crew also likes the god awful, screeching, ear piercing mess of a whistle up front by the smokestack, ughh.

Date: 05/05/24 22:02
Author: GP40

I like the 6 chime better but I'm getting used to the air whistle. Supposedly rules in Canada are such that they have to use it there but I'm not sure about down here. 

It's been reported elsewhere that one or more of the passenger cars in the train are limited to 50MPH. Sure looks like she was making that in one video. What seems to be the average, for those who've been chasing?

Date: 05/06/24 06:44
Author: jkh2cpu

Thanks for these clips.  You had a great day to chase this outfit, and the results are great.

Date: 05/06/24 07:15
Author: Max614fan

From what I've been told, the 6 Chime mounted on the Fireman's side front of the cab is very loud for the crews in the All-Weather cab, and the 6 chime is not of adequate volume when 2816 is at speed. The 5 chime is from a CP Selkirk type, and runs on Superheated steam, controlled by an air actuator. the 5 chime was mounted in 2004 as it is much louder. Even though it might not sound great, It's still a nice whistle, and it is for the safety of railfans and pedestrians. 

Maxwell DiNovo
Manhattan, IL

Date: 05/06/24 10:42
Author: bankshotone

I think if they got rid of the air actuator and went to a pull cord the 5 chime would sound much much better.

Date: 05/06/24 11:27
Author: nycman

I love that engine and it sure is great to see her out running again, sounds great and looks great.

Date: 05/06/24 12:43
Author: HotWater

Very nice videos. No more ditch lights either.

Date: 05/06/24 14:13
Author: xrds72

Great videos. The third one was just west of Wisconsin Dells. Where were the others taken?

Date: 05/06/24 16:53
Author: co614

Nice looking train and the 2816 looks terrific. After nearly 80 years enjoying steam I must confess that this is a first for me. I never thought I'd hear a steam whistle I didn;t like.... but I was wrong. That set-up is the poorest sounding whistle imaginable and such a shame as it definitely detracts a lot from the rest of the show. 

Oh well, guess we need to celebrate the big picture that a Class 1 thinks enough of their heritage to invest some real effort into letting the magic of steam play a starring role in their celebration. Thanks CPKC for putting on a great show.

Ross Rowland 

Date: 05/07/24 00:28
Author: coach

Why are the bell and 6-chime whistle located near the cab??!!?  If you want public safety, shouldn't they be near the front of the engine???  Makes no sense at all.  No wonder the crew doesn't like blowing that whistle--well then, move it, right???

Date: 05/07/24 07:11
Author: Max614fan

Build a Time-Machine and go ask the Montreal Locomotive Works in 1930. 

The Point of the 5 Chime is to get the attention of people, even if it sounds unpleasant it does the job it was installed to do. I'm not a big fan of it either, I much prefer the 6 chime.
just my two cents.

Maxwell DiNovo
Manhattan, IL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/24 07:13 by Max614fan.

Date: 05/10/24 08:19
Author: Cumbresfan

Nice video and very nice train. Though most cars are labeled CP, a few have the KCS name on them.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds