Home Open Account Help 213 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Does it Include that "New Cab Smell?" (Donner Pass)

Date: 05/04/24 20:10
Does it Include that "New Cab Smell?" (Donner Pass)
Author: broken_link

I headed up to Sugar Bowl on their closing day of Sunday, April 28th, to get in my last turns of the season. I had planned on shooting some eastbounds in the morning on the way up, but a burning traction motor on an eastbound manifest mostly plugged the railroad at Bowman. Fortunately Main 1 wasn't fouled and the Z trains were able to make it through along with other trains with enough power to make it up Main 1.

Once the snowboarding conditions turned to full mashed potatoes, I left the slopes to follow an eastbound autorack train down to Colfax. I stopped to grab some shots and a video of it at Switch 9. (Apologies to any car counters out there, but I trimmed most of the video down. If you want to picture what the rest of it looked like, just imagine another 30 or so graffiti covered autoracks.)

It was mentioned on this site that these C44ACM rebuilds were going to be receiving new cabs versus refurbished cabs starting this year. I don't know when this one went through the program, but the paint sure looks new and shiny. Curious if it also has that new cab smell.

Cheers,
Sean

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/04/24 20:25
Re: Does it Include that "New Cab Smell?" (Donner Pass)
Author: ble692

The 5910 came back to the UP on March 17th, 2024. Pretty fresh still.

And yes, I have been in locomotive cabs that had that "new car smell" to them. Or is it a "new cab smell?"

Date: 05/04/24 20:35

Yeah, 11 days on the road is pretty fresh. It looked like it was a recent rebuild. Aside from some dust and insect splatters it was gleaming.

Date: 05/04/24 21:12
Author: oyw

The video is killer!

Date: 05/05/24 07:28
Author: 18_lbs

These are quickly becoming my favorite locomotives to run, especially since the last few have had quieter cabs.  Originally the latest rebuilds with completly new cabs were LOUD, like SD70ACe loud in the cab.

-18_lbs

Date: 05/05/24 08:58
Author: NSDTK

Door on the enigneer side is new cab, if the door is still on the conductor side its a reused cab  on the rebuilds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/24 15:26 by NSDTK.

Date: 05/05/24 13:49

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that in the future. Thanks!

NSDTK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Door on the enigneer side is new cab, if the door
> is till on the conductor side its a reused cab 
> on the rebuilds

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.213 seconds