Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Actions Around MPXTU (Arizona)

Date: 05/01/24 02:45
Actions Around MPXTU (Arizona)
Author: cchan006

MPXTU is the symbol for the Phoenix to Tucson manifest. It runs along both Phoenix and Gila Subs. Symbol confirmed from radio chatter.

I did a quick Arizona getaway recently with no particular railfan agenda in mind. After landing at Phoenix's Sky Harbor Airport and grabbing a rental car, I turned on my scanner to see what might transpire.

FYI, it was my first time riding the Sky Train "People Mover" to the rental car center. The Sky Train extension started service only about a month after my last visit to PHX, November 2022. More convenient than the rental car shuttle buses.

I went to Tempe to see if I'd get lucky with a train crossing the Salt River. Nothing after a short wait, so I headed toward Picacho, as there's always trains on the Gila Sub. I was thinking of checking out Magma for the first time when I overheard someone working at Magma on my scanner.

"Red zone... set and center, PXTU..."

I didn't want to miss the train, so I headed to the bridge across Gila River south of Magma for the intercept. Entire train after the work at Magma is shown. Don't know if it was a setout or a pick up, but I'm guessing pick up.

- MPXTU at Red Rock getting ready for a setout (Gila Sub).
- Nice Geep in the consist.
- Video of MPXTU across the Gila River on the Phoenix Sub.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/01/24 03:01
Re: Actions Around MPXTU (Arizona)

MPXTU did a setout of the single-stacked well cars at Red Rock. On the west end, there were already 2 previous setouts, mixed freight cars, and another set of single-stacked well cars. I'm guessing but the well cars' destination might be Long Beach.

Video here shows an eastbound 1x1 manifest showing up after the MPXTU was done setting out the well cars. Entire train is shown, symbol unknown. UP 6938 is the leader. New paint scheme, but no longer fresh. Seems a bit underpowered if it came from West Colton or Roseville, so it must have had manned helpers over Beaumont Hill... or hope it did.

Date: 05/01/24 03:14

As MPXTU was getting ready to depart Red Rock, I headed further east, hoping to capture the sounds of the prime movers accelerating.

And I was surprised by an eastbound 3x1x0 stacker, ILCG2 led by UP 2627, with UP 6706 third in consist. UP 6706 is a C44AC still in CNW paint scheme, a nice surprise. Symbol mentioned on heritageunits.com at the time. Entire train is shown - PSR length, 4:02 long.

Date: 05/01/24 03:27

I realized from radio chatter that the MPXTU wasn't going to depart Red Rock just yet, so I went back to the elevated perch and documented the next westbound, ISTLB mentioned by the dispatcher - 3x1x0, led by UP 3086.

Since MPXTU was occupying Main 1, DS 242 had to cross the ISTLB 1 --> 2 somewhere further east.

Date: 05/01/24 04:08

While all this was going on, I noticed another train in the distance to the east.

While the trains I documented earlier triggered the hotbox detector on Main 2 at MP 954.0, there was a train that triggered it on Main 1. I assumed incorrectly that it was the ISTLB waiting for MPXTU to depart Red Rock. When I spotted the real ISTLB in the distance, I saw 2 pair of headlights.

There was a local at Avra (MP 953.5) doing work at the Saguaro Power Plant.

After the ISTLB sped by, I headed east to satisfy my curiosity. The local was either the LKL72 or LKL73, which does work between Casa Grande and Tucson. I'm guessing 73 since it originates in Casa Grande and works Mon, Wed, Fri, and it was a Friday.

I got a meet of the LKL73 and MPXTU at Avra.

- Trailing SD70M on the LKL73 has a FIRE cab.
- Video of LKL73 at Avra, Red Rock, and cactus near Wymola.

That's it for the report.

Date: 05/01/24 04:45
Author: DKay

Western Pacific Hopper .....gotta love it. 
Regards,DK

Date: 05/01/24 07:41
Author: memphisfreight

Enjoyable series!   The international containers set out at Red Rock were undoubtedly from UP's new Phoenix pop up ramp, heading to Long Beach perhaps empty.    The ISTLB symbol sounds new, I thought "ST" was Stockton, CA but maybe UP has someplace in Texas they use it for now.

Date: 05/01/24 08:19
Author: pbouzide

memphisfreight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Enjoyable series!   The international containers
> set out at Red Rock were undoubtedly from UP's new
> Phoenix pop up ramp, heading to Long Beach perhaps
> empty.    The ISTLB symbol sounds new, I thought
> "ST" was Stockton, CA but maybe UP has someplace
> in Texas they use it for now.

I figured it to be the Santa Teresa ramp, even though the code for that is SI. Kinda looks like the dog's breakfast consist I'd expect Santa Teresa to build for Long Beach. Perhaps there's a second station at Santa Teresa where the cut of racks originate?

Date: 05/01/24 10:05
Author: SCUfoamer

Nice report from a territoy I first visited back in February. We got totally skunked at Red Rock but what a cool view if you have some trains moving. 

Date: 05/01/24 11:45

pbouzide Wrote:
> I figured it to be the Santa Teresa ramp, even
> though the code for that is SI. Kinda looks like
> the dog's breakfast consist I'd expect Santa
> Teresa to build for Long Beach. Perhaps there's a
> second station at Santa Teresa where the cut of
> racks originate?

The "Tee" could have been an "ee" or "dee" (D) although I heard the DS loud and clear. In rare cases, "I" can be misread as T, even if not written by hand and on a computer screen. I agree with your observation that the train originated in Santa Teresa, as I've seen quite few of the dog's breakfasts on Beaumont Hill further west.

Date: 05/01/24 12:59
Author: TheNavigator

Real nice series of videos and report; lots of great action!
GK

Date: 05/01/24 17:23
Author: coach

"FIRE" cab????

Date: 05/01/24 17:31

coach Wrote:
> "FIRE" cab????

Yup!

I challenge you to find the info yourself. I even posted its definition in a report I posted on April 17, 2023, but that was after doing a quick search myself. You, too, can then earn your official SD70M Foamer Certificate. :-)

Date: 05/01/24 17:41

SCUfoamer Wrote:
> Nice report from a territoy I first visited back
> in February. We got totally skunked at Red Rock
> but what a cool view if you have some trains
> moving.

PSR has definitely made it more difficult to find trains, even on the Sunset Route. Jon and I nabbed some searchlights near Estrella in 2016, and we had train bonanza, but that was in November, approaching the tail end of the busy holiday shipping season. During that trip, we were so busy chasing that we didn't have a chance to nab anything at Red Rock!

Date: 05/01/24 20:41
Author: oyw

Charles, you rule!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0798 seconds